Sunday 27 March 2011

Caterbury


When I attended Alasdair Gray's talk at the Aye Write festival in Glasgow I had the full intention of taking notes. I abandoned this idea in favour of just enjoying his company, which- despite the hundreds-strong audience - was very easy to do.

I did make one note, however, which was reads ' next time doing a Zizzi's think of Alasdair Gray' by which I meant ' do what you want' as Gray kept emphasising the people he most enjoyed working for were those who just allowed him to please himself.

I don't feel I've achieved that mentality yet as - I think like most other artists- I get pre-occupied by what I think people expect to see from me or in certain places. But in enjoying Gray's mural work and imitating a certain graphic/ rythmical line of his has helped me overcome a bit of a hump with this commission. The sketch is pictured but still needs revising

No comments:

Post a Comment